Wednesday 3 June 2009

........2 Cents Interactive ........... What's your favourite piece of classical music?................

OK 2 Cents Family............. this is the plan.

You tell me your favourite piece of classical music in the comments section ( even those who don't necessarily like classical music as a genre DO have at least one piece that they can recognise and like - maybe from a movie ) ... and tomorrow I will post all the pieces listed for your group aural enjoyment.

So - get humming - get typing - get posting.

This will be a new weekly feature here at 2 Cents where your comments will be brought to life somehow.

Thanks all.

And here is my favourite.

The Bell Song from the Opera Lakme - performed by the two women whom no one can hold a candle to - Joan "La Stupenda" Sutherland, and the wonderful and emotive Marilyn Horne - what a pair.

6 comments:

queer heaven said...

I have 2 favorites The first is sung by the incomparable Dame Kiri Te Kanawa "O mio babbino caro" by Gianni Schicci. ( brings tears to my eyes every time I hear it)
Second is " Pavane pour une infante defunte" by Maurice Rave. ( I just get lost in the sounds of sadness in this masterpiece)

Victor said...

I can't pick a favourite piece.

I love all of Puccini's major operas as well as Verdi's Aida and La Traviata and Bizet's Carmen.

I think that Tchaikovsky is my faourite composer but I also like most of Mozart and for some reason became in awe of his Requiem after seeing a depiction of how he (may have?) composed it in Amadeus.

Will said...

Actually, it's the act 1 Flower Duet, not the act 2 Bell Song, Damien. But I'm delighted to see someone else who likes the music of Lakme.

Like Victor, I love too mud=ch stuff to name a favorite, but one that always excites me is the Sinfonietta by Leos Janacek.

James Dreigon said...

I would have to say that my two favs would have to be "Swan Lake" by Tchaikovsky a beautiful balet but even more beutiful music. My second is a tie between Lt. Kije by Prokofive and Adagio for strings by Samuel Barber. I consider myself a good queer since two of these pieces are by Homo Brothers!

Damien said...

Will - you are totally right - thats what I get for blogging late at night and having to think while i do it :)

Good to hear everyone else putting forward suggestions. Everyones stuff will be up later tonight (my time)

The Pansy Bastard™ said...

Vivaldi is my fave composer. I would have to say that ONE of my favorites would be V's "L'Estro Armonico, Op 3/10 in B Minor." The first and third movements are just awesome.

But, there are so many others.