For those of you unaware of Dunedin, here is an excerpt from Dunedin City's official website...
_____
Abundant Victorian and Edwardian architecture is found in this beautiful city. These elegant buildings often house, hotels, restaurants, and conference venues, and include New Zealand’s only castle, Larnach Castle. These heritage buildings all bear testimony to the wealth that flowed into
Dunedin city captivates and enchants, it is a city in which to linger and explore. A city rich in heritage and architecture that leaves lasting memories for its visitors. Once the centre of European commerce and culture in
A compact city with a population of 122,000 (including a student population of 23,000) Dunedin is located on the southeast coast of the South Island of New Zealand . It is a safe and compact city with most hotels and restaurants being within easy walking distance of the city centre, ‘The Octagon’.
This is your chance to travel
Unfortunately I was there for work and didn't get any time to sight-see - and I wish I could have because the countryside and coast of Dunedin looked absolutely gorgeous when we flew in.
But here are some snaps anyhoo..................... and click on em for the HUGE versions.
Hotel Room - I do like a nice hotel room and this one was very comfortable. The bed was to die for.
I do wish these places would make a LITTLE more effort on the mini-bar nook tho.
Hotel Robe - I like a nice waffled robe to twirl around a hotel room in - and twirl I doth. Julie A would be proud.
The Speights Ale House where I had lunch both days - this is a VERY popular brand of beer here in NZ.
The hot server-lads wouldn't stay still long enough for me to get them in a pic. I am certain the young uni guy was going commando. AND he had a great knowledge of the wine list - paired my wine excellently with my meal. Looks and style - always a nice combo.
This is my meal BEFORE I attacked it..........
This is it after *burp* - pardon.
Here are the obligatory pics of NZ sheep - they are actually quite cute.
More of the STUNNING countryside of Dunedin.
This was a plane getting ready to do take off.
*THIS* was my plane.
It was actually a VERY smooth ride and very comfy - I wish I could've got a pic of the handsome and very good-at-his-job Male Attendant.
In the Airport they have some examples of local natural icons. The city bird is the Albatross.
There is a large Albatross colony just outside of town. I hope to visit it next time.
This is a Moa skeleton that was uncovered in the Dunedin area and is a complete example of the now extinct large bird. It stood up to 7 feet tall and was a flightless bird that fed on the local foliage. Sadly, when man came here approx 1000 years ago they hunted the bird to extinction for meat and its feathers for decoration and clothing. It is commonly agreed that Moa were extinct by 1400CE.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moa
So that was my little jaunt down south.
Hope you guys are good and ready to enjoy your weekend.
Shabbat Shalom
Damien
.
2 comments:
Thank you for the vicarious travel experience.
This is our first armchair visit to Dunedin!
Great photos!! That hotel looks awesome! Can I stay with you next time?
Post a Comment