Friday, 7 August 2009

....... RIP ............. Sam The Koala Has Died :( ..............



Sam the koala, made famous by footage of her drinking from a firefighter's water bottle during Melbourne's summer bushfires, has died.

The four-year-old koala lost her life on Thursday after undergoing surgery to remove cysts associated with chlamydia, a disease which has ravaged Victoria's koala population.

Peita Elkhorne, from TressCox Lawyers, which represents Sam and the Southern Ash Wildlife Shelter where she had recuperated, confirmed her death.

"It is a sad day," Ms Elkhorne said.

3 comments:

The Mutant said...

Okay, I understand that this is sad. Sam was a symbol of hope during the worst natural disaster this country has seen, however, I can't help but think this is going to end up hyped to within an inch of it's life. I'm sorry, but there were human lives lost a result of those very same bushfires that Sam became the symbol for. Let's not forget those, the loved ones lost and those left behind.

Wonder Man said...

it's sad

Damien said...

WM - Yes it is.

Mutt - I completely agree. I am still yet to see any comprehensive coverage of the people lost.