Sunday 13 April 2014

Let's Start Here....

Following some recent feedback - all constructive and I appreciate that - let's start here on a journey into race and some of the issues one encounters.

On the right hand side is a poll.  I am keen to get a racial snapshot of my readers.

This is a first step on a broader plan.  But this is the best place to start.

As people can be made up of more than one - multiple choice is available - and I look forward to seeing the results.

Hopefully this is a first step on a calm, objective, respectful and supportive journey into the topic.

Thank you all again.

Damien
xox


PS I have tried to be as comprehensive as possible without listing every country on earth.  If I missed something, please do not be offended.  But please kindly do add it in the comments section of this post :))

2 comments:

LeNair Xavier said...

I answered "Other" due to the fact that I am born and raised in the U.S.A., but a breakdown of my ethnic background is African/Native American/Venezuelan. And that is only as far as I know. Some would define me as African-American which is a term I take massive degree of offense to. And many other Blacks that I've spoken to don't like it either.

For "African-American" was a term brought into the spotlight by Black celebrities looking to regain a country to define themselves that slavery and time since slavery took away. Unlike many White Americans, can define themselves by country for generations if they choose to. The problem is these Black celebrities and racist Whites dominating the media were all quick to throw us all in one pot, and define us all by the same country, saying we're all the same. When the reality is the only way we are all the same is by our race being HUMAN. Hence why I use the word "ethnicity" instead.

Damien said...

LeNair - no offence was intended and I had no idea about that. But thank you so much for taking the time to tell me WHY.

I can't edit the poll. But what alternative would you suggest going forward.